Downtown is a place to raise families, start new businesses, build community, and forge the future. It is a place of shared memories, celebration, and economic activity. The quaint atmosphere, picturesque views of the Fox River, and historic architecture sets downtown De Pere apart from other communities in the region. It offers a walkable community filled with unique shops, contemporary restaurants, exciting entertainment, and vibrant attractions.
Definitely De Pere is a non-profit organization committed to promoting downtown De Pere through marketing, special events, and business development efforts. The organization is a nationally accredited Main Street program through the National Main Street Center.
“To improve the quality of life through assisting in the revitalization of the downtown business community and thereby the community as a whole through concentrated efforts in organization, promotion, design and economic enhancement.”
To make downtown De Pere the premiere place to live, learn, work, and visit in Northeast Wisconsin.
- Model for historic preservation and downtown revitalization.
- Regional destination for art activities and cultural amenities.
- Home to over 220 locally owned businesses. 35% owned by women.
- One of only 15% of communities in the state that is retaining and gaining young professionals.
- Over 80,000 people attend events in downtown and generate additional economic activity by spending time shopping and dining.
- Public art sculpture and mural projects add meaning and uniqueness to downtown, attract additional visitors, engage them for longer periods of time, and keep them coming back.
- Seasonal flowers and streetscape features create a bustling downtown that is important to creating a competitive business environment.
- Enhance an authentic sense of place that speaks to a high quality of life and attracts and retains a diverse range of residents.
- Increase awareness of the benefits of enhanced walkability and bikeability on health, tourism, and economic development.
- Encourage the growth of business and continue a proactive and business friendly approach.
- Expand existing and establish new programs and policies that encourage and support entrepreneurs, small businesses, innovation, and grow local talent.
- Increase diversity in housing options that provide lifecycle housing for the community, addressing a wide range of ages and income levels.
- Increase and coordinate unique activities that enliven the City and increase the sense of community.
- Increase recreational opportunities along the riverfront.
- Create and promote special events throughout the year which draw visitors from the surrounding regions.
- Implement public realm development, enhance streetscape projects, and further public art.