Date of Construction: 1888.
Architectural Style: High Victorian Italianate.
This commercial block was built for John Steckart, Sr. and Jacob Falck, after a large fire destroyed their respective buildings earlier that same year. Each of the two halves of the building originally contained two stores on the first story and five apartments on the second. One store was home to Steckart’s meat market, while another served as a saloon and housed Falk’s wholesale and retail liquor business.
One of the hallmarks of the building’s architectural style is the use of materials of differing colors and textures to create what is known as polychromatic appearance, which in this case was achieved using both cream and orange colored bricks. The color details are still easily seen on the second floor.
Today, first-floor commercial businesses include Starry’s Realty, Edward Jones Investments, and K Sera Salon & Spa, while the upper-level apartments have been recently renovated.
Steckart operated his meat market until his retirement in 1907, but it would be run by his sons for several decades thereafter. Falck ran his saloon and liquor business until his retirement in 1919.
Steckart and Falck had similar careers and interests outside of their commercial businesses. Both came to De Pere in the 1870s and were charter members of De Pere’s German Benevolent Society. While Steckart was involved with the creation of the National Bank of De Pere, Falck assisted in the establishment of the State Bank of De Pere. Each served as a director of their respective banks and both served as city alders.
De Pere, Wisconsin 54115
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.