Date of Construction: 1883 with additions to 1922.
Architectural Style: Commercial Vernacular.
The Union House Hotel is the oldest continuously operated hotel in the area. The hotel was begun just one year after a catastrophic fire destroyed almost all the older commercial buildings on Broadway. The 1882 fire consumed three of the city’s more recent hotels, creating a demand for modern lodging that led Nicholas and Susan Altmayer to construct what began as a modest two-story hotel. Two years later, in 1885, the Altmayers doubled the size of the building. In 1903, their son Fred added a third story. August and Antonia Maternoski purchased the hotel in 1918. They razed the hotel’s original horse barn and replaced it with the present brick barn. A small three-story addition that the Maternoskis added to the east end of the James Street side of the hotel in 1922 resulted in a thirty-four room hotel building.
The Union Hotel and Restaurant continues to operate as a family-owned hotel, supper club, and lounge that is in the heart of De Pere, now owned by a Maternoski great-grandson McKim Boyd. Inside is a comfortable, well-maintained interior with public spaces on the first floor and hotel rooms above.
The entrance lobby, bar, and dining booths display a sleek, streamlined Art Moderne appearance from a 1936-37 remodeling, one of the few changes since the building’s 1922 completion.
The horse barn was built to stable guest horses and horses for an adjacent fire department that no longer exists.
De Pere, Wisconsin 54115
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.